Back to school, and we hit the ground running! It’s going to be a crazy two months until we stop for the year!
This Saturday is the Fencing Western Cape Awards Diner. All of our established team will be receiving their colours. This proves that if you do the work consistently, you will get the result. Students who become part of the team must be fully aware that if they follow our program, they will achieve their goals. Fencers come into the team with the confidence that they are joining a winning formula! Well done especially to Joseph Baker and Faa’iq Gamieldien who have achieved Western Cape Colours for the first time!
Good site from a club in the US. It is the beginning of their season, so it would be useful read this perspective about competitions. I would recommend all parents to have a look. http://midsouthfencersclub.org/2012/09/supporting-youth-competitive-fencing/ It is good, concise guide, and we share their philosophy. It would be an idea if we were to have a workshop cum info-session early in the new year. What do you think?
This term is a good time to reflect on the past year and where we would like to go in 2013!
Thought of the week
Just as we develop our physical muscles through overcoming opposition – such as lifting weights – we develop our character muscles by overcoming challenges and adversity. Stephen Covey
It is all in the preparation!
En Garde website http://engardefencing.co.za/school/index.htm
- Rondebosch (adult and youth club) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rondebosch-Fencing-Club/217238318361009
- Peninsula Swords (youth club) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Peninsula-Swords/332476156777417
- False Bay(youth club)https://www.facebook.com/pages/False-Bay-Fencing-Club/301234409914484
- Fish Hoek high school group https://www.facebook.com/groups/143266002366724/
Useful video resources:
- FIE http://www.youtube.com/user/FIEvideo
- Fencing.net http://www.fencing.net/video/
- Junior sabre club: http://www.youtube.com/user/PattinandoPublishing?feature=watch
Fencing photos http://www.fencingphotos.com/
Sports psychology for youth sports. They have a really useful newsletter. http://www.kidssportspsychology.com/
Preparing for the new season:
…and probably my favourite of all my favourite sword-fighting films celebrated 25 years last week!